Sunday, August 12, 2012

Embrace the Pain

48 days until Ironman Augusta 70.3.

It is not a whole lot of time to get prepared to race strong.  I am ready for the swim and the bike, but I have a lot of work to do to be able to run strong for this race.  I just don't want to come to a walk like have done for every 70.3 that I have raced.  Physically I am ready.  It is all a mental game for me.

I did learn a lot on Saturday on what I do or where my mind goes when I begin to feel the pain.  I thought back to Macca's article in this month Triathlete Magazine. Embrace the Suck, because during a race of this distance you will have pain and it will begin to suck, but it will only last for a little while.  Saturday with nobody around to talk to on the run, I focused on my running form and the next small goal;  the next turn, mile marker or the turn-around.  It kept me moving forward, but when my mind would focus on the pain I would begin to slow and suffer in my pain.

I also try to focus on my surrounding, God's creation.  It helps me keep a smile on my face and in return helps me keep moving forward and forget about the pain.  God's word is great to recite or even singing hymms, not out loud, helps me stay focused.

What do you do to embrace the pain?

No comments:

Post a Comment