Thursday, December 29, 2011

Isolated Leg Drill

The title alone sounds defeating.  Late morning workout scheduled on the trainer to conduct isolated leg drills.  The focus was to work on the efficiency of each pedal stroke and identify the weaknesses.  This workout comes form the Workouts for Indoor Cycling, Speed Skills 1.  I added slightly to the workout so I did a total of 50 minutes of spinning. 

Warm-Up: 17 Minutes
5 min pedaling easy, keeping cadence above 90 rpm
5 min alternating 30 seconds standing; 30 seconds seated
6 min seated altenate 1 minute right leg 1 minute left leg
1 min pedaling easy

Main Set: 28 Minutes
7 X 4:00 maintaining a cadence of 85 rpm
     Alternane 1 min right leg; 1 min both legs; 1 min left leg; 1 min both legs.  I put support
     on each side of the bike to place my feet while pedaling with the opposite leg.  The focus
     was not to push down on the pedal stroke; at the bottom, pull back and up and push
     forward at the top of the stroke.

Cool Down: 5 Minutes pedaling easy but maintaining a cadence of 90.

I did a fairly descent job of maintain the cadence throughout the isolated leg drills however I notice on both the right and left legs at about 40 seconds into the workout I start to loose efficiency at the top of the pedal stroke.  As I sit here and type this I can feel the burn in my quads.  I guess that is a good thing.

Happy Training Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment