Friday, July 15, 2011

Century Ride - Friday, July 15, 2011

Today’s training is dedicated in memory of Penny Zaballa; Pancreatic Cancer.

A century ride scheduled for today; my first 100 miler.  The weather forecast was for 60% chance of rain and when I looked at the radar I didn’t see any in sight.  I headed out at about 7:30 a.m. and by the time I hit mile 18 it was raining and it didn’t stop raining until mile 90.  At mile 22 I had to stop because it was raining so hard I couldn’t see more than 100 yards.  About 15 minutes later I was on the road again trying to stay as close to 20 mph for an average as I could.  Once I hit the hills around mile 55 the pace began to slow a bit.  By mile 70 I was really beginning to slow but maintaining in the mid 18’s.  I stopped at mile 78 to get a refill in the water bottles and then headed out again for the last leg of the ride.  I knew the last 10 miles were going to be brutal as it had the most climb throughout the entire ride and my legs would be dead.  I only averaged 16.1 for the last 10 miles.  I finished the day out at 18.9 for an average and a total of 8,400 feet of elevation gain.

I think I have figured out why I am slowing so much during the later miles.  It has to be dehydration.  I took in 350 calories an hour and was drinking roughly 16-20 oz of electrolytes and amino acids an hour and 4 salt tabs every 16 miles.  After I got home I weighed 5 pounds less than I started.  On my next long ride I will try and take in a bottle every 40 – 45 minutes.

Happy Training Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment