Saturday, July 30, 2011

Chattahoochee Sprint Triathlon

Saturday, July 30, 2011

I dedicated today’s race for 16 loved ones that have battled cancer; one for each mile of the race.  Today’s race was in honor of Bobby and Verlin Beavers, Shirley Jenkins, Bill Thorn, Tomi Rempel, Sean Smith, Woody Boyer and in memory of Kay Tolsma, Bonnie Woodman, Gloria Fillingim, Helen Small, Gladys Jones, John Riley, Laura MacLean, Dorothy Mae Long and Fred Basco who lost his battle on July 21, 2011.

I had a perfect day of racing.  I could not have asked for anything more than what I did.  God is awesome.  Just prior to the start of the race I had a local pastor come and pray over me; I think because I was wearing my MultiSport Ministries uniform provoked him to ask if it was ok.  I believe that this set the stage for the remainder of the morning.

The race started in a Time Trial fashion with 2 people starting every 3 seconds.  I started about 16 back and all I wanted to do was have a strong swim but not push too hard.  I came out of the water in 8 minutes and I was initially stunned that it took that long; I was hoping to be in the low 7s.  I shook that off and quickly transitioned to the bike and I was off. 

My goal was to ride somewhere in the 22 mph range since it was a flat and fast course.  I felt great on the bike and got passed by two folks about 4 miles into the bike and that was the last of anyone to pass me.  Since I started toward the front there were not too many people in front of me.  I would pass a guy and he would pass me back and that kept happening throughout the course.  About 10 miles into it I passed a runner that told me I was in 10th place so that gave me a little encouragement for the final 2+ miles.  I came into the transition and my Garmin Split showed 12.5 miles with an average speed of 22.5, another confidence booster.  I quickly racked the bike, running shoes and out I went in 30 seconds.  Passing 3 athletes that entered transition right in front of me.  So that put me in 6 starting the run.

My goal on the run was to run strong but not go all out.  I wanted to run 7:30s.  I felt great reached the first mile in 7:13 and I just tried to keep a steady pace and keep my stride on point without overdoing it.  I was catching the runner in front of me and I notice he was in my age group so I waited until we came to a slight up hill and I picked up the pace slightly to get around him just prior to the turn around.  Once I hit the turn I knew he didn’t have it in him to keep the pace.  I hit mile 2 in 7:15, slightly slower but I was happy with it.  A little over a mile to go and I picked up the pace finishing mile 3 in 7:04 and finishing the race with a total time of 22:05 crossing the finish line 5th.  Then it was a waiting game to see where the remainder of the field finished.  Because of it being a time trial start, there was no telling where I actually finished until all the times were posted.

Once the official times were posted I finished in 1:05:40 in 6th place overall and 1st in age group.  What a great start to the weekend.

Happy Training Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment