Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sunday August 14, 2011 - 70/4 Brick Workout

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Today’s brick workout was dedicated in memory of Mrs. Barnes and Lance VanBuskirk.

I took two days off to let the knee heal up.  Today I went out and did yesterday’s workout of 70 miles on the bike and followed it with a 4 mile run. 

Bike:  The goal on the bike was to ride the first 40 miles at 18.7 for an average speed and then finish the last 30 at 20+.  I rode a bit faster than I wanted on the first 40 miles averaging 19.1 and then I pushed the final 30 miles averaging 20.8.  Both goals met!  My goal for the Ironman is 18.7 mph.  Based on my performance that should be an attainable goal. 

Run:  The goal on the run was to stay steady and deal with the heat.  By now the heat index was near 100.  I wasn’t in any hurry and new I would take some walk breaks to drink.  I ended up only taking two walk breaks.  I finished the run averaging an 8:24 pace.  My goal for the Ironman is a 9 minute mile and I should be able to accomplish it just fine provided I can manage my nutrition and hydration on the bike. 

Weather Report:  Min./Max.: 78.3 °F/92.3 °F; Humidity: 66.8%; Dew point: 72.2 °F; Wind Speed: 4.1 mph 

Happy training everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment