Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Indoor Cycling; 1600 Meter Swim; & Weight Training

Workout #1

I spent an hour on the trainer this morning.  I am beginning to love my CycleOps Fluid2 trainer.  It is much tougher than riding outdoors, but I am able to focus on specific types of workout.  When I ride outside I don’t seem to focus on an specific type workout, I just ride.  Once again I used the Workouts for Indoor Cycling book and used the Muscular Endurance workout Tempo Intervals #1. 

W/U:
5 minutes - Pedal easy with a cadence above 90 RPM.
5 minutes - Alternate 30 seconds standing; 30 seconds seated.
6 minutes - Seated, 1 minute right leg; 1 minute left leg.

Main Set:
5 x 6 Minutes in HRZ 3 while sustaining a smooth pedaling cadence above 80 while riding in aero position with a 2 minute recovery between sets.
          avg speed  / cadence per set:   (20.0 / 82.9)  (20.1 / 83.5)  (19.6 / 80.7)  (19.4 / 84.5)  (19.0 / 83.7)

C/D:
5 minutes – Pedal easy with cadence above 90.

I had a great workout.  I maintained the same gear ratio through the first 3 sets and on the fourth & fifth set I had to drop a gear about 4 1/2 minutes into it which equates to the slower speed and higher cadence.   After I finished the bike ride and sweating to death, I changed clothes and headed out for a 1.4 mile run.


Workout #2

I headed to the pool for a 1600 meter swim.  This is the first time I have been in the pool since Ironman Louisville.  I wasn’t looking forward to the workout, but it turned out pretty good day.  I figure my triceps will be a little sore tomorrow. 

W/U:
200 meters

Main Set:
10 x 50 meters with 10 sr
200 meters pull
10 x 50 meters with 10 sr

C/D:
200 meters

I wanted to have each repeat at 60 seconds.  It turned out that I stayed pretty close together during the first set with times varying from 55-57 seconds and the second set they were 56-59 seconds.  I accomplished my goal although I wasn’t sure I would even be able to finish the first set, much less doing the second set.  I guess it is all a state of mind.  I need to work on mindset of “I can accomplish all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phil 4:13


Workout #3

An hour of weight training.  Most of my time was spent trying to determine the right weight for the given exercise for the right number of reps.  My workout consisted of:

Squats - 20 reps / 3 sets
Bent Arm Pull Downs - 20 reps / 3 sets
Step-Up - 20 reps / 3 sets each leg
Seated Chest Press - 20 reps / 3 sets
Standing Row - 20 reps / 3 sets
Leg Curls - 20 reps / 3 sets each leg
Leg Extensions - 20 reps / 3 sets
Calf Raises - 20 reps / 3 sets
Standing Trunk Rotation - 20 reps / 3 sets.


Happy Training Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment