Monday, February 20, 2012

Bike/Run Brick

“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees.” - Hebrews 12:11-12

I headed out a lunch for a bike / run brick workout.  I would be the first this year where I would do both outside.  I wanted to slow the bike down and ride around 18mph, or at least as close as I could to it.  I rode the same route as I did yesterday where I averaged 18.5, but I wasn't sure how much fatigue I would have in the legs from yesterdays workouts.  I did fairly well keeping my speed where I wanted it.  I felt as though I had head wind the entire ride.  The wind were almost as strong as they were yesterday, however the wind gusts were not as bad.  I had a great ride averaging just shy of my goal.

Bike Details:
Distance: 26.16
Time: 1:27:50
Avg Speed: 17.9
Avg HR: 143 (61%)
Max HR: 170 (78%)
Avg Cadence: 79.9
Max Cadence:  129.8
Weather: Min./Max.: 53.7 °F/57.0 °F; Humidity: 54.3%; Dew point: 39.6 °F; Wind Speed: 8.6 mph

Once I finished the bike portion I put the bike in the truck took off my jacket and headed off for the run.  The plan was to run a portion of what I rode, but since I didn't know where the road was the cut across, I had to change the plans once I started running.  The focus for todays workout was on the run, so I wanted to run strong, not all out, but strong.  I felt great from start to finish gradually picking up my pace throughout the run.  I would love to run this pace or faster for my Half-Iron Distance races this year.  Both times I did this distance my pace was just over an 8 minute mile.  I know I can run faster it is just a matter of figureing out the speed on the bike and the run to findout what is faster overall.  I think a 7:30 pace is about right but i can't go too hard on the bike.

Run Details:
Distance: 6.53
Time: 48:34
Pace: 7:26
Avg HR: 155 (69%)
Max HR: 172 (79%)
Weather:  Min./Max.: 57.1 °F/58.3 °F; Humidity: 50.6%; Dew point: 39.7 °F; Wind Speed: 4.0 mph
Shoes: Brooks Ghosts

Overall a great workout.  I had so much fun out there today.  I am ready to get outside and ride some more.  But for the remainder of the week it will be indoors spinning to nowhere.

Happy Training Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment