Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mid-day run and Afternoon bike - Beware of the Rattlesnakes

"Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men." - Colossians 3:23.  This is another one of my favorite versus.  Everything we do should be done for the Lord and not self.

I started the day off checking my resting heart rate.  Training must be working its magic.  My resting heart rate is down from two weeks ago by 8 points.  In fact, it is the lowest I have ever recorded.  My resting heart rate this morning was 44.

I had a great day of workouts despite the high winds.  When I finally decided to go out the winds were not as bad as I had anticipated.  Just before lunch I headed out for a nice and easy run.  The plan was to run easy at a pace 2 minutes slower than my goal half-marathon pace.  I should have been running between an 8:50 - 9:00 pace.  I stayed pretty close.

Run Details:
Distance: 5.11
Time: 45:32
Avg Pace: 8:55
Avg HR: 133 (55%)
Max HR: 151 (66%)
Shoes: Brooks Ghosts
Weather: Min./Max.: 60.8 °F/61.5 °F; Humidity: 86.8%; Dew point: 57.6 °F; Wind Speed: 8.3 mph

At 2 pm I decided I had waited long enough for the winds and the sun to come out.  The winds never died down and the sun hadn't come out yet.  To my surprise the winds were not as strong as I had anticipate, although when the gusts hit it was hard to keep the bike on the road.  When ever I was near traffic I didn't feel safe to ride aero as the gust would push me a foot or more one way or the other.  The sustained winds were just under 10 mph.  I had to stop and take a few pictures.



I wanted to jump in the water and swim across the lake.


Now this sign threw my for a loop.  I caught a glimpse of this as I was heading down this hill at 35-40 mph.  Once I hit the bottom of the hill and turned around to come back up the hill I had to stop and take a picture of it.  SLOW RATTLESNAKE CROSSING.  REALLY!!!  Are they trying to protect the rattlesnakes or did they wanted you to know to keep you from swerving when you see them?  Interesting.

Bike Details:
Distance: 26.08
Time: 1:24:33
Avg Speed: 18.5
Max Speed: 33.0
Avg Cadence: Ooops No reading, gotta replace the battery.
Avg HR: 149 (65%)
Max HR: 172 (79%)
Elevation Gain: 898 feet
Weather: Min./Max.: 57.4 °F/58.9 °F; Humidity: 82.6%; Dew point: 53.0 °F; Wind Speed: 9.8 mph

It was my first ride outside in I don't know how long.  Normally I am on the trainer and finished riding before day light.  Once I get done with this school I will be hitting the roads a whole lot more.  I do enjoy the trainer though, but nowhere as nice as actually being outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment